The Australian National University (ANU) houses the largest physics research institution in Australia, the Research School of Physics (RSPhys). Leading research and next-generation applications, the RSPhys’ research portfolio covers fundamental research, pre-commercial development, and strategic activities at the interface with biology, chemistry, advanced materials, energy research and more.
Forming part of the elite design team, CETEC provided ongoing advice on the proposed layout of laboratory spaces, flammable hazardous zones and chemical storage locations, enabling RSPhys to deliver safely on their purpose.
• Dangerous Good Consulting
• Laboratory Design
• Chemical Storage
• Flammable Hazard Zones
• Private companies; •Manufacturing
• As part of the design team, offered advice on the storage and safe handling of dangerous goods, including Class 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9 chemicals.
• Advice on the proposed layout of laboratory spaces and chemical storage locations for compliance with – AS/NZS 2982, AS 2243.2, AS 4332, AS 1894 and AS/NZS 2243.8.
• Provided advice on flammable hazardous zones for compliance to AS/NZS IEC 60079.10.1.
• Advice on design for compliance with:
• AS/NZS 2982 ¬– laboratory layout, including safety shower and eyewash stations.
• AS 2243.2 – chemical distribution and chemical store construction requirements, including AS 1940. Including fire separation, ventilation requirements, etc.
• AS 4332 – gas cylinder layout and distribution, including minor and bulk storage store construction requirements. Including fire separation, ventilation requirements, etc.
• AS 1894 – cryogenic liquid distribution, including minor and bulk storage store construction requirements. Including fire separation, ventilation requirements, etc.
• AS/NZS 2243.8 – fume cupboard layout.
• AS/NZS 60079.10.1 – flammable hazardous zones characterisation, including zone type, temperature class and gas grouping.
• Consolidation of chemical storage locations into single stores for gases and chemicals offers segregation and separation.
• Enabled ANU to deliver state-of-the-art facilities –clean rooms, stable labs and chemistry laboratories, with safe chemical storage and laboratory design.
• Risk mitigation via gas sensors, alarms and other procedures provide safe facilities for students and staff.